Marina of Echoheart is the guest for Episode 013 of 3 Questions & a Song.
Three questions for Micah Martin – Episode 011
- So The Crowning is based in Stroudsburg, PA and you’ll be making your debut in Pittsburgh soon. What can you tell us about that upcoming show?
- Recently, you put on your annual Five Acre Fest and Winter’s Descent from this end of the state participated. How do you decide on what bands to book for your festivals?
- Do you think cover bands and/or tribute bands are a positive or negative influence on a town or city’s music scene? – asked by Jimmy Feudale of Dragline on Episode 10
The Song: Will I Make It Home
Will I Make it Home tells the story about a solider who has to leave his family behind to head off to war. It explores the emotions from the family’s perspective who are constantly on edge wondering if they’ll ever hear from him again, and his constant fear that he may never get home alive.
About The Crowning
Band Location: Stroudsburg, PA USA
Band Genre: Rock
Nobody understands momentum quite like The Crowning. After storming the scene in the Fall of 2017 with their debut EP, the Pennsylvania quartet has already begun to establish themselves as a regional powerhouse with their unique take on the altrock/grunge sound. In a very short period they have amassed thousands of streams, opened up for several major national touring acts, received continuous airplay on hundreds of indie and college radio stations, and have been featured in several major publications including the cover of The Aquarian Weekly.
Find The Crowning online:
- I know that you used to use the tagline “Pure Rock Fury” for your band, and I feel like it is a pretty good description for your band. How would you describe your sound to people who haven’t heard you yet?
- Recently, I was flipping through my social studies teacher’s manual and found a photo that looked exactly like my college roommate. If I were to find a picture of a time traveling member of DRAGLINE, what historical event would the photo be with and why?
- What is it that you like and dislike about the Pittsburgh Music Scene and what are the advantages and disadvantages of being a part of it as opposed to a more musical city like Nashville, LA, or New York; what do you find special about opposed to any other music scene out there? – Asked by Doug Carnahan on Episode 009
The Song: She Put the Devil in Me
The song is about Temptation and giving in to it.
Band Location: Leechburg, PA USA
Band Genre: Rock / Metal / Punk Rock
DRAGLINE was born out of the fiery remains of what once was the Midnight Plowboys. The Plowboys had Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins style rockabilly riffs along with some southern rock influence. This has carried over into DRAGLINE’s sound, although now, there’s an edge that has been added to it, with some Motorhead influence and metal riffs being tossed around. The line-up consisted of: Jimmy-Lead guitar & vox, Mike-Bass guitar & backing vox, and Jay on drums. DRAGLINE is proud to play an all original set, yet has no problem dropping in some David Allen Coe, Johnny Cash, or yes, even Motorhead. Their sound is a basic power trio. Their style consists of “bar-room” rock ‘n’ roll, punk rock, metal, and even some rockabilly floating around in there somewhere. Their ideology is “just play, have a good time, and most importantly put on a good show” They do everything from benefits to bike nights. Whether it’s doing a backyard BBQ or playing at a local bar, the boys in DRAGLINE just wanna play. Grab yourself a cold beer and check them out…you won’t be disappointed!
Find Dragline online:
Three questions for Doug Carnahan – Episode 009
- I know that you used to be in a you play solo acoustic shows, and you front After the Fall, a Heavy Rock and Metal band. So my first question is, what musicians would you say have influenced you?
- What’s up with your microphone? (bonus question)
- So this next question kinda doubles up on the questions, can you tell me what the writing process for an After the Fall song is like and then specifically how it went for “The Fight”? (Check out Fernando’s Review of “The Fight”)
- What keeps you going when all else fails, when the people that you need let you down and the people that are the closest aren’t there what keeps you motivated to make music? – asked by Deyv Dee on Episode 008
The Song: The Fight
“The Fight” is a song about everyday life, and getting through it as unscathed as possible. We all have faced adverse situations that may cause us to stumble, and perhaps, even become a bit jaded towards life. That’s really the struggle, trying to get through life without compromising yourself, your morals, etc, and oftentimes, we don’t walk away the same person, be it for better or for worse. “The Fight” is meant to be inspirational, in the sense that we all have the ability to stare our individual adversity in the face and declare that we won’t come unhinged, that we’ll persevere and come out on top! Short of death, we all have the ability to overcome our individual obstacles, we simply need to have the strength and courage to do so, and that’s what I tried to convey with “The Fight”. A short side note, my eldest daughter, Sydney, helped to inspire some of the lyrics. I try to match the lyrics to the emotion that the music invokes, and I was having trouble determining the emotion attached to the music in “The Fight”. She asked me what my hangup with this song was, lyrically, and I told her. She then proceeded to tell me that I should make the song have both happy and sad emotions, that those were the emotions she felt upon hearing the music. I got to thinking and thought that, in life, we all experience both of those emotions, often one right after another, and that started me on my way to getting the lyrics completed!
About After the Fall
Band Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
Band Genre: Hard Rock/Metal
After the Fall is a 4 piece, original hard rock band from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Originally formed back in 2003, they’ve undergone several lineup changes over the years, and although met with success soon after their formation, it’s their current incarnation that has the city of Pittsburgh and cities throughout the country, abuzz. With Matt Ferrante on drums, Steve Craven on bass, Zac Shepard on guitar, and Doug Carnahan on vocals/guitar, they’ve made a bang in Pittsburgh and surrounding regions since the addition of Carnahan on vocals back in the spring of 2012. More recently, they would replace longtime guitarist Brandon Cornish with Zac Shepard. They’ve shared the stage with such national acts as Warrant, Sevendust, Nonpoint, Hed PE, The Sin City Sinners, Dope, Corrosion of Conformity, Hurt, Primer 55, and more. They have played in cities across the country, turning heads and recruiting new fans as if their lives depended on it.
Their sound is reminiscent of some of the great hard rock bands of the late 80’s, early 90’s, yet still stands out amongst their contemporaries as fresh, melodic, and just plain catchy. The songs are predominantly driving, radio friendly, hard rock songs, infused with attention commanding guitar riffs, topped off with vocals and lyrics that drive their point straight home and often through the heart.
Starting with their 2014 EP which contains their first big hit “Rumors” and followed with their full-length effort “My Confession” in the summer of 2015, After the Fall has kicked their career into high gear, winning the Iron City Rocks Pittsburgh Music Awards for “Best Rock Band” (2014-2019), and “Album of the Year” (My Confession). Armed with new, soon-to-be released music and with their signing to Pittsburgh’s RFL Records on September 6th, it’s only a matter of time before their music is in front of the masses! RFL Records released “My Confession” on November 30th, 2018 with full label backing, new packaging and promotion to reach a worldwide audience. They also released the single “The Fight” in April, 2019. With a jam packed schedule and shows dotted all over the map, be sure to keep an eye out for After the Fall in a town near you!
Find After the Fall online:
Purchase After the Fall
Three questions for Deyv Dee – Episode 008
- Having played all over the world and in various genres and styles of music, I’m guessing that you have quite a few stories to tell. Can you tell us about an embarrassing situation that you faced on stage?
- If you could go back in time and follow 1 band or artist for 1 year and learn from them, who would it be and why?
- What does success mean to you? – asked by Aaron Hart of Love Stallion on Episode 007
The Song: Oh Dear Helen
“Oh Dear Helen”, Its about feeling betrayed, abandoned, and living past it.
About Deyv Dee
Band Location: Elgin, IL USA
Band Genre: Folk Punk
Deyv Dee released his first solo album in 2012 however has over 16 years in the Chicago-land music scene. After receiving his first guitar from Jim Ellison’s family in 96 Deyv Dee, also known as Dave Damask, went on to play Blues on the Fox, in Aurora Illinois, 3 years in a row and was front page news in the Beacon News, once sharing a picture with Sherly King. Deyv played in a nu-metal band, Cry for Dawn, for 3 years and was part of the writing process and release of “Rainy Days and Razor Blades”. Deyv went on to start a pop-punk band, Gutter Star. Gutter Star played for 4 years and had two CD’s released by Deyv himself. Broken TV Fest was put on in 2008 by Deyv and was 13 bands in a back yard in unincorporated Dupage county in Illinois. Deyv also went on to join Team Rockit and tour in Germany and Switzerland in 2006. After Team Rockit he started The Regals (also known as Meet The Regals) who shared the stage with many bands and recorded a 13 track album that was released after the band broke up. After the break up of The Regals Deyv joined Leah Stargazing for one year as the lead guitar player and started writing material for his first solo album “27 to life”. For promotion of his first solo album he played with a full band or acoustic with friends backing him up. Deyv Dee has played all over the country going to open mics for years (2011-current). Deyv was released in 2013 on a Methadones tribute album, released from Infested Records, as the only stringed song with cello and violin backing up Deyv on guitar, drums and vocals.
Find Deyv Dee online:
Three questions for Love Stallion – Episode 007
- I have to know, what was it like opening for Steel Panther? Did you interact with them? I think it was probably a huge party, am I wrong?
- What is your favorite thing about playing in a Glam Rock band in the 2000s?
- When a fan goes to hear Love Stallion live, what will they see, hear, or experience that they won’t see, hear or experience when seeing another band live? – asked by Chip Dominick of Chip & the Charge ups Episode 006
The Song: Valentine
Valentine is track 7 on Unforgettable Ride. It is a nostalgic tune about a love lost, and wishing for one more sweet taste before it’s gone forever. In the studio, we spent the most time on this one to make sure we captured just the right space and feel, and super proud it came out how it did. It seems to put us all in trance every time we hear or play it.
I originally wrote Valentine on the piano and always wanted to share that version. So, I just released my first solo project in a long time called the “Valentine EP”, released Valentine’s Day 2019.
About Love Stallion
Band Location: Denver, CO USA
Band Genre: Glam Rock
Inspired by the “big rock” sound of the 1970s and ’80s, rock stars like David Lee Roth and Freddie Mercury, and dynamic bands like Van Halen, Kiss, and Def Leppard, Love Stallion is charging onto the music scene with original glamorous hard rock. The band’s high energy live performances, flamboyant wardrobes of sequins, spandex and leather, and their signature “Sexy Disco Legs” have placed Love Stallion in the spotlight among Denver’s hottest tickets. Love Stallion has recently opened for LA Guns and Steel Panther, and will be playing with Kix on April 13th at Herman’s Hideaway in Denver, Colorado.
Find Love Stallion online:
Purchase Love Stallion
Three questions for Chip & The Charge Ups – Episode 006
- If you could change one thing in the Pittsburgh scene, what would it be?
- How was the band’s stage attire chosen?
- What is it like to play in a band with your daughter? Do you ever find yourself battling between band member and dad? – asked by Jana of First Angel Media
The Song: Sunshine, Take Me Away
“Sunshine, Take Me Away” by Chip & The Charge Ups
This song was inspired by the seemingly never-ending winters in Pittsburgh. Once we get into March, it seems us “yinzers” are dying to see what we haven’t seen in months: the sun! We are just tired of winter!
But, being creative, we made the song metaphorical by describing a long-distance relationship where reunions are like seeing the sun after a long winter.
Unlike the other songs on the album, this song was co-written and produced by Sean McDonald. Sean is known for his work with Frontiers Records artist Gene The Werewolf and The Clarks.
About Chip & The Charge Ups
Band Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
Band Genre: Power Pop
Chip & The Charge Ups arrived like a bolt of lightning in Spring 2018!
Pittsburgh’s Chip & The Charge Ups quickly created an electrifying buzz by performing its first shows at some of
the East Coast’s fastest-growing music festivals. Cultivating a modern power pop sound that blends leading-edge
alternative rock with old-school punk, the band captivated audiences with its energetic live performances and catchy
Chip & The Charge Ups’ debut single, “The Ol’ Two Niner,” is a staple on WDVE, an iconic radio station in
Pittsburgh. The station uses the song as intro music for legendary Pittsburgh Penguins player and current radio
announcer, Phil Bourque, when he makes his weekly morning show appearances. The band released their debut album,
“Flow of the Current, Part I (+)” in September 2018 to rave reviews from the press and radio, such as:
- “Full of hooks and youthfully heartfelt lyrics” – Pittsburgh Current
- “A stellar release” – Empire Extreme
- “It’s no wonder Pittsburgh is shaking! Great music and tons of rock fun!” – BANGS Music & Entertainment
- “A band who knows music is meant to evoke a good time” – Rock All Photography Music Magazine
- “Definitely badass!” – The Pipeman, iHeart Radio
- Emboldened by the success of their debut release, Chip & The Charge Ups are set to release their sophomore
effort, “Flow of the Current, Part II (-)”, on April 5, 2019.
Find Chip & The Charge Ups Online
Purchase Chip & The Charge Ups
- You have a new line up, what can you tell me about the new members?
- If you could live the movie rock star, which band would you join?
- If you can take the band to any city in the world and perform, as the band is now, where it would it be and why?
The Song: I Won’t Carry You
Simply put the song is about staying your path, regardless. It’s about separating yourself from those who will be nothing but dead weight. It’s about doing what you feel is best for you and what fulfills us. It’s about leaving those behind that would rather attempt to destroy your dreams rather than work to achieve them.
SiLK9 is a Pittsburgh PA based hard rock band that was founded in April of 2013 by Anthony Leone and Jamie Rohr.
The Ep was released too much acclaim on the local and Tri-State scenes with regular radio play on several local stations as well as internet radio received 6 Nominations in the “Iron City Rocks Music Awards” and nailed down the award for “Best Album of the Year
Songs from the EP have been featured on 97.7 Butler Pa, Adrenaline 101, 105.9 The X, 102.5 WDVE, The PARockShow.com, 107.5 The Eagle in Wheeling WV, also featured on Lou Lombardi’s Rock n Roll Circus.
Shortly after, a licensing agreement was signed with JTV digital and Pop-up music.
On November 21, 2015 the new single “Shattered and stained” was released for digital download. The song has already been featured on 105.9 The X as well as Big D’s House of Pain on Adrenaline 101.
September 12, 2016 Anthony Leone, Founder of SiLK9 signs a deal with RFL records
January 2018 the new EP “RETRIBUTION” was released. Featuring 5 tracks that are best described as Dokken on the melodic side meets Pantera on the heavy side.
5 high energy and flat-out aggressive tunes that will burn the soul and etch new depths into your Metal core; melody that stretches the heart and a heavy beat that ravages your mind.
A video for the first single, I don’t know, was aired on January 29th with promotional partner, BRAVEWORDS.com.
SiLK9 has worked with: Steel Panther, Lynch Mob, Adelita’s Way, The Art of Dying, Winger, Drowning Pool, Skid Row, Jake E Lee, Puddle of Mudd, Winger, Warrant, The Reb Beach Project, Sebastian Bach , Dokken, Bullet Boys, Enuff Z nuff and Tantric
SiLK9 has recently started tracking a new single and hope to have a release date soon!
The dawn of a new era launches and the thunder that is SiLK9 is set to take the hard rock world by storm.
Can your ears handle the volume?
Find Silk9 Online:
Purchase Silk9’s Music
- You’re involved in quite a few charity events that are musically based. Could you take a moment to talk about them and explain what got you involved in them?
- If you could change one thing about your local scene, what would it be?
- In the way that the music industry has shifted, are you a fan of this new model or not? And why? – asked by Brady Novotny Episode 003
The Song: Baby Blues
It was the first track that we wrote and recorded for recently released new album, ” Love, Lust & Other Wreckage”
It’s all about regret after losing something special.
About John Vento
Businessmen 1997 – present
Nied’s Hotel band – 2006 – present
And also some other John Vento project sprinkled in . LOL
Pittsburgh, PA – Americana/ Folk/RNR